Victory Day & Mount Paektu Tour
What's it all about?
This is the celebration to mark the end of the Korean war which resulted in an armistice agreement, signed on July 27th 1953. Oh and we will also be flying to the incredible Mount Paektu!
During this tour we will be taking part in the Victory Day celebrations, as well as hanging out with locals in the park, watching the fireworks and joining in the Mass Dance! It’s truly a great time to be in Pyongyang!
We’ll also be hitting up all the must see sights of Pyongyang including the Mausoleum where both President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il lay in state. We’ll experience the deep Pyongyang metro as we ride six stations of line 1! We’ll also have an opportunity to visit the Korean War Museum and see the North Korean story of the war. No trip to the DPRK is complete without visiting Panmumjom (the DMZ) from the North side where North and South Korea meet head on.
We’ve combined the victory celebrations with a trip to the iconic Mount Paektu in the far north of Korea!
We’ll be chartering our very own Antonov aircraft to reach the sacred site. We’ll also stop by the Secret Base Camp where Kim Jong Il was reportedly born & stay overnight in the quaint town of Samjiyon.
This trip only happens once a year. It’s a special one not to be missed!
Mt Paektu Highlights
Beijing - Pyongyang - Mount Paektu - Samjiyon - Pyongyang - Kaesong - Sariwon - Beijing.
July 21st - 30th, 2021
We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application and we'll hand you the physical visa card at the pre-tour meeting in Beijing.
We'll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
July 21st - Beijing
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 2pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers. It’s a great opportunity to ask any last questions you may have.
- The train departs Beijing Central station at 5:25pm. There will be a chance to stock up on supplies for the journey. There’s also a restaurant car on the train.
- The train is a full sleeper with all bedding and pillows provided
- Overnight on the train.
July 22nd - Dandong / Pyongyang
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
July 23rd - Pyongyang
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
July 24th - Mount Paektu
- Check out of hotel and jump aboard our very own Rocky Road Travel chartered flight departing Pyongyang Airport and flying north to the small & brand new town of Samjiyon located right on the border with China – for you aviation enthusiasts this is the ultimate old Soviet experience as we fly in a small 44 seater Antonov 24! (1 hour flight time)
- Arrive in Samjiyon Airport and drive to Mt Paektu – the most famous mountain on the Korean peninsula.
- Stop an hours hike away from the top of the peak.
- Take in the spectacular views from the top of the mountain. If weather permits we can hike down to Heaven Lake that lies in the middle of the volcano.
- Picnic lunch on top of the peak!
- We’ll head back down the mountain and head to Mt Paektu secret base camp – the centre of the anti-Japanese revolutionary struggle and reported birthplace of General Kim Jong Il.
- Visit Rimyongsu Waterfall
- Explore Chongbong – This is where the main force of the KPA camped. It features the headquarters, kitchen, barracks, and a statue of President Kim Il Sung.
- Dinner and overnight at the Begabong hotel. The hotel is most famous for its BBQ’d potatoes! We’ll enjoy a night around the bonfire.
July 25th - Samjiyon
- Visit Samjiyon Revolutionary Museum and learn more about the town.
- Head to Samjiyon Grand Monument by the stunning Lake Samji.
- Lunch at Begabong Hotel
- Board our own chartered flight back to Pyongyang
- Visit Taedonggang Micro Brewery #3 to sample some of the 7 brews they have available! Soft drinks, coffee, juices, and snacks are also available
- Dinner and drinks at Dongsong restaurant
- Overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
July 26th -Pyongyang
- Grand People’s Study House. This is the main library and learning center for adult students. This huge building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over the Kim Il Sung Square.
- Jangchon Vegetable Cooperative Farm – A model co-op farm located in the outskirts of Pyongyang. We’ll explore a farmers house, a nursery school and other facilities.
- The Juche tower (€5 extra to go all the way to the top) Amazing views over Pyongyang!
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and exit to the Arch of Triumph– This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Munsu Water Park. This place has it all – indoor pools, amazing water slides, cafes, shops, beer bars, table tennis, billiards, massage, you name it. (Extra charge)
- Dinner at the Potonggang Restaurant
Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
July 27th - Pyongyang
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Revolutionary Martyr’s Cemetery – The resting place of the greatest of the anti-Japanese revolutionary fighters. It offers great views over the city.
- Visit Mansudae Art Studio, This is where the country’s most important art work and statues are created. We will also get to meet some of the local artists too.
- Special celebratory events (optional: €20) – Yet to be confirmed but we will take part in any holiday events that are possible to attend.
- Gentle hike on Mt Ryangak and enjoy a BBQ picnic lunch
- Expected mass dance for Victory Day, join in or just watch for excellent photography opportunities!
- Drop into the Mangsugyo beer bar for a pint or three! Lots of local and cheap beers, coffee’s and tea’s available.
- Dinner at the National Restaurant with performance
- See the Mass Games (TBC)
- Fireworks display (TBC)
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
July 28th - Kaesong / DMZ
- Early drive south to Kaesong.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here! We should be the first ones here thus avoiding all the crowds!
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture. There’s also a wonderful stamp and postcard shop here so you can send postcards to your friends and family. Don’t forget to write down the address before you travel!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Visit the concrete wall section of the DMZ – this is off the usual tourist route and gives us a glimpse at the wall which was erected by the south side during the 70’s. We can even spy on the South Korean watch towers along the DMZ.
- Stop by Sariwon city and check out the stunning view point from a hilltop pagoda.
- Stop at the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight in Sosan Hotel.
July 29th - Departure
- Group B flyers depart Pyongyang at 9:00am on Air Koryo, arriving in Beijing at 9:55am local time
- Group B Train members depart at 10:30am for Beijing, arriving in Dandong at 16:30 local Chinese time. We’ll have time to stock up on supplies before our 18:30 onward departure to Beijing.
July 30th - Beijing
- Train takers arrive in Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am.
- End of Tour
You’ll be in the experienced hands of our expert English speaking North Korean guides and Rocky Road Travel guide. Your itinerary may change slightly but we will always go above and beyond with added extras to the itinerary. We always put an emphasis on visiting real everyday life places such as local cafes, bars and amusement parks, bowling alleys etc.
Before & after each tour we will add you to dedicated email and social media groups so you can share photos easily with your travel mates. Let us know if you want to opt out of this.
To book simply get in touch below to start the conversation today.
Dates don’t work?
More great options
What is Mount Paektu? Paektusan or Baekdusan 백두산 in Korean, 长白山 Chángbái Shān in Chinese – [...]
What makes a great North Korean gift? You’ve just booked your long awaited tour of [...]
What are the main stadiums in North Korea? North Korea is famous for doing things [...]
How to take a tour in North Korea There are plenty of known reasons why [...]