South Sudan Tours
Travel to South Sudan - South Sudan Tour November 2020.
This year Rocky Road Travel is proud to announce a trip than the world’s youngest nation: South Sudan. Independent since 2011, after years of war against the government of Sudan, our newest country is one of the most ethnically diverse in the world. Our South Sudan tour will showcase all of this country can offer.
We’re offering you a genuine South Sudanese experience by getting out of the controlled capital city and visiting three ethnic communities of South Sudan.
We can expect incredible encounters with warm locals & tribes and experience things only a handful of foreigners have.
Our trip takes us to the incredible Mundari tribes, herders who live a nomadic life in the wild with their cattle. After visiting the Mundari, we will visit the Dinka tribe.
Group B of our South Sudan tour takes you to Latuko and Boya camps high in the mountains.
Only 12 spots are available on this tour according for logistical reasons. Book your spot now!
Juba - Mundari Villages - Mundari Cattle Camp - Dinka Cattle Camps - Torit - Illieu village - Boya Hills - Kapoeta - Juba
November 23rd - 29th/December 4th - 2020
We will apply for your entry permit which will allow you to apply for the visa on arrival.
The group tour below costs $2495 (Group A) or $4295 (Group B)
November 23rd – Juba
- Arrival in Juba at your convenience. Our local partners will greet you as you leave the plane and guide you through the immigration procedure.
- For those who arrive early, we will spend the morning in South Sudan’s biggest market: the Konyo Konyo. It is an incredible place where the immense ethnic diversity of South Sudan can be seen.
- Our next stop in our Juba city tour is the Presidential Palace, the residence of South Sudan’s colorful leader.
- We then head to John Garang Mausoleum. John Garang is famous for leading the revolution but also promoting the concept of Sudan-ism, where all Sudanese should go beyond the divisions & embrace all cultures of South Sudan.
- Our next stop is Jubek Tomb, for which the city is named after.
- We finish our city tour with a stop at the craft market- perfect for hand made souvenirs.
- Dinner and drinks by the Nile.
- Overnight at Royal Palace Hotel.
Tuesday November 24th – Mundari Villages
- After breakfast at our hotel, we head to Terekeka.
- Upon arrival, we head out for our compulsory visit to the state government authorities. They do not get visitors often and the visit is more out of their curiosity than anything else.
- Local lunch
- We arrive at a Mundari cattle camp.
- The evening is a great time to get our cameras out and take photos of the cattle herders, in their ghostly make up, coming back from grazing.
- Dinner and overnight camping in a Mundari Village camp.
Wednesday 25th November – Mundari Cattle Camp
- Wake up early to catch the sunrise over the plains of South Sudan. Perfect for photography.
- Watch how the Mundari interact with their cattle. For Mundari, cows are more important than anything else, they provide food and milk but are also the most common currency and status symbol.
- We then head to Nyikabor village which is another Mundari village.
- We have lunch in Nyikabor village made up of traditional South Sudanese fare.
- Spend the afternoon mingling with the Mundari as they show us around their village. Very few people have been here with this tribe.
- Dinner in Nyikabor village
- Overnight camping.
Thursday 26th November – Juba
- After breakfast, it is time to bid farewell to the Mundari.
- Arrival in Juba for lunch
- Free afternoon to relax at the hotel, use the wifi or explore more of Juba.
- Dinner at Royal Palace Hotel
- Tonight, we will sample Juba’s nightlife by heading to the Bedouin Lodge, a popular outdoor club for the locals!
- Overnight in Juba, Royal Palace Hotel.
Friday 27th November – Dinka Cattle Camps
- After our breakfast, drive for at least four hours to a Dinka cattle camp along the eastern bank of the River Nile.
- The Dinkas are nicknamed the World’s tallest people, and you’ll quickly understand why.
- Lunch in the camp
- The afternoon is spent interacting with the Dinka as they come back from grazing.
- Dinner at the camp.
- Overnight camping in the Dinka cattle camp.
Saturday 28th November – Dinka Cattle Camps
- After breakfast, we head out to learn more about the everyday lives of the Dinka people.
- Head back to Juba & stop at the village of Bangachorot.
- We stop to eat our packed lunch in Mangalla.
- We stop by Pan Wel to find some reminders from the civil war.
- Arrival in Juba, where we check back in at the Royal Palace Hotel.
- Dinner at the AFEX camp, South Sudan’s best restaurant.
- Overnight in Royal Palace Hotel.
Sunday 29th November – Juba/Torit END OF GROUP A
- End of GROUP A: Airport drop-offs will be arranged according to your flight times.
- GROUP B continues to Torit town in the early morning.
- City tour of Torit Town, experiencing the local life.
- Dinner at Torit Hotel.
Monday 30th November – Illieu village on Imatong Mountain
- Drive to the Latuko village of Illieu, built on a hilltop.
- The villagers are Latuko-speaking people with a complex socio-political system. We will tour the village after which the chef will have prepared our lunch.
- The rest of the day will be spent interacting with the local Latuko people.
- Dinner cooked for us at our camp by the village.
- In the evening, we will get to spectate traditional Latuko dances join in.
- Overnight camping.
Tuesday 1st December – Camp 15
- Travel to Boya village at camp 15. The area is inhabited by the Boya/Larim tribes.
- Here you will be amazed by the architecture the Boya people are renowned for. While Mundaris are known for facial painting, the Boya are renowned for both body and facial scarification.
- Lunch upon arrival at camp 15
- The afternoon will be spent in the village where locals will introduce us to their way of life.
- Dinner & overnight camping.
Wednesday 2nd December : Boya Hills – Kapoeta
- Today we leave the Boya hills behind a head to our last stop, Kapoeta town. Located on a hilltop, Kapoeta is home to the Toposa tribe.
- There, amongst many other spectacular things, we will see how the women of the tribe carry water from down the hill up to the village on their head.
- In our day dedicated to Kapoeta, will go for a full village and market tour.
- Check in at Mango Camp today, which has WIFI and showers. A treat after all this camping!
Thursday 3rd December: Kapoeta/Juba
- After a good breakfast we head out in the morning sunlight and take stunning photos of the Toposa villages as they slowly rise.
- We then head to Kapoeta airstrip for an amazing aviation experience – the check in desk will be a tent.
- Fly to Juba.
- Check-in at Royal Palace Hotel were we can enjoy the well-earned luxury of this hotel.
- Lunch at La Corte Tuscana.
- The afternoon is left free to visit sights in Juba you haven’t already seen.
- Dinner at Afex Camp.
- Overnight at Royal Palace Hotel.
Friday 4th December
- Breakfast in Royal Palace Hotel.
- End of tour with airport drop-off arranged depending on your flight time.