South Sudan Tour
What's it all about?
Our epic South Sudan tour will get you out of the controlled capital city of Juba and visiting not one but three ethnic communities of South Sudan. We can expect incredible encounters with warm local tribes and to see things very few foreigners have seen.
Our trip takes us to the incredible Mundari tribes, herders who literally live in the wild in symbiosis with their cattle. They are unmistakable by the fact that they cover their whole body in chalk-like makeup. Then we will head to visit the Dinka, which are a majority in South Sudan and nicknamed the tallest people in the world. The Dinka’s contribution to the struggle for independence was enormous, and here too we will spend a day mingling with them.
This year for the first time, this tour extends even deeper into South Sudan this time, with Group B taking you to the Latuko and Boya tribes. While the Dinkas and Mundaris are cattle herders living in the plains, the Latuko and Boyas live in the mountains.
This South Sudan tour will follow another tour of Sudan proper – get in touch for more info on this!
Juba - Mundari - Dinka - Latuko - Boya - Kapoeta - Juba.
November 23 - Nov 28th / Dec 3rd, 2021
We will supply you with an invitation letter to allow you to apply for the online e-visa. The visa usually takes one day to be issued.
South Sudan Tour – November 2021.
November 22 - Juba
- Arrival in Juba at your convenience. Your local guide will walk you through immigration procedures.
- For those who arrive early or the day before, we will spend the morning in South Sudan’s biggest market: Konyo Konyo.
- Presidential Palace.
- We then head to John Garang Mausoleum. John Garang is famous for leading the revolution but also promoting the concept of Sudanism.
- Our next stop is Jubek Tomb, the tomb of the man after whom Juba was named.
- Lunch at the Da Vinci Lodge
- We finish our city tour with a stop by the craft market.
- Dinner and drinks by the Nile at the AFEX camp.
- Overnight at Royal Palace Hotel, or similar.
November 23 - Mundari Villages
- After breakfast, drive to Terekeka.
- We arrive at the Mundari cattle camp.
- The evening is a great time to take sunset photos of the cattle herders as they return from grazing.
- Dinner mingling with the Mundari
- Overnight camping in a Mundari Village.
November 24 - Mundari Cattle Camp
- Wake up early to catch the sunrise.
- We’ll then get an opportunity to see how the Mundari people wake up with their cattle. For Mundari, cows are more important than anything, they provide food and milk but are also the most common currency and status symbol amongst members of the tribe.
- We have lunch in Nyikabor village.
- TRIP HIGHLIGHT – Our afternoon and evening will be made up of visiting this traditional village being shown around by the Mundari, who will introduce us to their lifestyle.
- Dinner in Nyikabor village
- Overnight in camping tents within Nyikabor village.
November 25 - Juba
- After breakfast, it is time to bid farewell to the Mundari and drive back to Juba.
- Arrival in Juba around lunch time
- The afternoon is there to allow you to enjoy the nice facilities of the hotel and relax. The most adventurous amongst us can also explore more of Juba.
- Dinner at Royal Palace Hotel
- Tonight, we sample Juba’s nightlife by heading to Bedouin Lodge, a popular outdoor club for the locals.
- Overnight in Juba, Royal Palace Hotel or similar.
November 26 - Dinka Cattle Camps
- After our breakfast drive for at least four hours to a Dinka cattle camp.
- Here, we will be able to spot the differences in culture between the Dinkas and Mundaris. The Dinkas are nicknamed the World’s tallest people, and you’ll quickly see why.
- Lunch in the camp.
- The afternoon is spent interacting with the Dinka as they come back from grazing.
- Dinner at the camp alongside the Dinka
- Overnight camping in the cattle camp.
November 27 - Dinka Cattle Camps
- After breakfast, we head out to learn more about the everyday routine of the Dinka people.
- Head back to Juba, we stop at the village of Bangachorot along the way.
- We stop by Pan Wel to find out remainders of the civil war, in the form of tank ruins!
- Arrival in Juba, where we check in at Royal Palace Hotel
- Dinner at the AFEX camp.
- Overnight in Royal Palace Hotel, or similar.
November 28 - Juba/Torit END OF GROUP A
- For people on GROUP A: Airport drop-offs according to each and everyone’s flights. End of tour.
- For GROUP B, we leave for Torit town in the early morning.
- City tour of Torit Town.
- Overnight in Torit Hotel
November 29 - Illieu village on Imatong Mountain
- Drive to the Latuko village of Illieu.
- The villagers are Latuko-speaking people with a complex socio-political system based on age groups which shall be explained to us by our guide.
- We will take a short break after lunch before we resume the tour of the village.
- The day will be spent interacting with the Latuko people.
- Dinner cooked for us at our camp.
- In the evening, we will get to spectate traditional Latuko dances.
- Overnight camping.
November 30 - Camp 15
- This morning we will leave our new Latuko friends of Illeu village and travel to the Boya/Larim village at camp 15. The area is inhabited by the Boya/Larim tribe. While Mundaris are known for facial scarifications, the Boya are renowned for an abundance of both body and facial scarification.
- Lunch upon our arrival at camp 15
- The afternoon will be spent in the village where locals will introduce us to their way of life.
- Dinner at Camp 15
- Overnight camping.
December 1 - Boya Hills – Kapoeta
- Today we leave the Boya hills behind a head to our last stop, Kapoeta town. Located on a hilltop, Kapoeta is home to the Toposa tribe.
- We will go for a full village and market tour.
- Check in at Mango Camp today, which has WIFI and showers. A treat after all this camping!
December 2 - Kapoeta/Juba
- After a good breakfast at the Mango camp we head out in the morning light and take photos of the Toposa villages as they slowly come alive.
- We then head to Kapoeta airstrip for an incredible aviation experience as we’ll check in from a tent straight onto a plane.
- We fly to Juba.
- Check-in at Royal Palace Hotel were we can enjoy the well-earned luxury of this nice and new hotel.
- Lunch at La Corte Tuscana Hotel.
- The afternoon is left free to visit sights in Juba.
- Dinner at Afex Camp.
- Overnight at Royal Palace Hotel (or similar).
December 3 - End of Tour
- Breakfast in Royal Palace Hotel
- End of tour with airport pickup organised according to each and everyone’s flight details. YPT can arrange other tours, accommodation and transportation in Africa and beyond!
You’ll be in the vastly experienced hands of our English speaking local guides & fixer as well as your Rocky Road Travel guide. We visit the country regularly, so we know the best spots and have perfected this South Sudan Tour accordingly. Given the unpredictable nature of travelling in South Sudan, the itinerary may change slightly, but we will always go above and beyond with added extras to the itinerary. We are also in constant communication with our local partners on the ground who advise the safest routes to take.
Before & after each tour we will add you to dedicated email and social media groups so you can share photos easily with your travel mates. Just let us know is you want to opt out of this.
To book simply hit the button below and start the conversation today.