Somalia & Somaliland Tours
2022 / 2023
Your Horn of Africa specialist. Experience Somalia with our expert local guides and security taking you every step of the way.
Share this page:
Our Somaliland tours take you to the Horn of Africa’s most fascinating and least visited regions. For tours of southern Somalia and Mogadishu click here.
Somaliland proclaimed itself independent from the rest of Somalia in 1991. Unlike the south of Somalia, the self-declared country has largely avoided unrest and is finally beginning to forge a reputation for stability in the region.
Take a look at our confirmed tour dates below. Dates don’t work? No worries, we can organise your trip on your dates. See our Sample Itinerary. Travelling the whole region? We also specialize in travel to Eritrea, Djibouti and Ethiopia.
Mogadishu - Hargeisa - Laas Geel - Berbera - Sheikh.
We will apply for your visa on arrival and supply you with an invitation letter to bring with you.
Celebrate the birthday of this unrecognized country!
We can create your own private tour on your own dates.
Somaliland tours are all inclusive of accommodation in standard hotel, private transport with armed guard, entrance fees, permits, guiding and translations. Excluded are international flights, tips & insurance & food.
Somaliland is a very conservative society and as such, it is very important to dress appropriately. Women must cover their hair, shoulders and knees when in public.
Somaliland is a well functioning unrecognised country. All places we visit on tours are deemed safe.
Day 1 - Hargeisa
- Arrival in Hargeisa. Your guides will be at the airport to pick you up.
- Introductory briefing on travelling in Somaliland and a breakdown of the itinerary.
- Hargeisa city tour taking in the main central district and get some currency converted into schillings at one of the famous street exchange “offices”.
- Dinner at a newly opened and popular Syrian restaurant run by refugees from Damascus.
After dinner you can familiarize yourself by walking around the bustling city center in Hargeisa and have chai with the friendly locals. Overnight in Hargeisa.
Day 2 - Hargeisa
- After breakfast visit the livestock market where you can purchase your own camel or goat! For those who can’t fit a camel in their luggage, this market will provide great photo opportunity and a chance to see how the locals do business.
- Visit the two hills called Naaso Hablood (“Girl’s Breasts”), also known as Hargeisa’s main landmark. On the way visit the cemetery for British Soldiers who died here battling against the Italians during the Second World War. Hargeisa is the former capital of British Somaliland, while Italy controlled what is now Somalia.
- Lunch at a Somali-Yemeni restaurant.
- Take a walking tour around the city center of Hargeisa to get a further sense of the people and the city. Here you will see the central market, and the MiG Jet fighter War Memorial which stands for the atrocities committed by the dictator during the Civil War.
- Dinner and overnight in Hargeisa
Day 3 - Laas Geel - Berbera
- Morning drive to Laas Geel, the most important rock art site in Africa. These caves contain some of the oldest cave paintings on the horn of Africa. The vibrant colors and well-preserved paintings are estimated to be around ten thousand years old.
- Continue driving to the coastal city of Berbera.
- Upon our arrival, visit a historical Ottoman Mosque and Ottoman houses.
- Late lunch served at an Ottoman house.
- Take a short boat trip to go hunt for shipwrecks in the Gulf of Aden. Relax and swim at an untouched beach, where local youth and families come and enjoy their down time. (Due to local culture, ladies will need to cover their body while in water.)
- Tour the historic town of Berbera in early evening, where you will find more Ottoman, Persian and British architecture of historic interest. This will be a great chance for some amazing photographs at sunset.
Dinner and overnight in Berbera.
Day 4 - Berbera - Sheikh - Hargeisa
- After breakfast, enjoy some free time in Berbera.
- Drive to the small town of Sheikh in the mountains, stop for some tea, walk around and enjoy the pleasant climate. Visit the ruins of Ferdusa – a 16th century city.
- Drive back to Hargeisa in time for a last supper!
- Dinner and overnight in Hargeia.
Day 5 - Hargeisa
- Airport dropoff & end of Somaliland tour.
Somailand Tours - FAQs
Most frequent questions and answers for our tours in Somaliland.
When you sign up for the tour we will apply for your invitation letter on your behalf. This allows you visa on arrival.
For flights into Hargeisa, the main gateways are Istanbul, Dubai & Addis Ababa.
USD and Euro are both accepted in currency exchanges. Make sure to bring cash.
Generally it is about 10-15 for group Somaliland tours.
Private tours can be anywhere from 1 – 15 people.
Personal expenses like food, drinks, visas and tips. If you are doing the combo tour then the flight between Somaliland and Eritrea is extra. We can book this for you also.