Socotra Island Tour
What's it all about?
We’re proud to announce our first Socotra Island tour of the year for April 2021.
For those unfamiliar with Socotra, the place is like no where else on earth. Over 30% of plant life on the island can only be found on the island. Situated off the Horn of Africa in the Indian Ocean, Socotra is an archipelago belonging to Yemen. Luckily it has been completely unaffected by the country’s ongoing civil war and has become one one of the world’s least visited and untouched gems. Since the re-introduction of direct flights in 2018, Socotra is now looking to put itself back on the tourist trail once again.
Socotra island is a remarkable place for camping, walking, hiking, wildlife spotting & cultural immersion. It’s for anyone who wants to experience a natural world like no other.
Dubai - Socotra - Dubai.
April 1 - 8th, 2021
We wlll apply for your visa and you can collect it from us on tour. The visa fee is $125 extra.
April 1st - Dubai - Hadibo - Delisha Beach
- Our Socotra tour begins in the hub of Dubai. Arrival at your own convenience.
- A bright and early start – at 6:00 am we will meet at the check in desk in Dubai airport.
- Board the 8am flight to Socotra.
- 9:30am arrival in Habido, Socotra. We’ll
be greeted by our local Socotri guide who will
accompany us for the trip.
- Swimming at Delisha Beach. A beautiful white beach and lagoon.
- Enjoy the magnificent sunset from the sand dunes as watch as different ships pass by.
- Dinner and overnight at the Arabian Sea hotel
April 2nd - Homhil National Park | Arher
- After breakfast we’ll head to Homhil National Park. The Park is famous for its supply of the famous Dragon blood trees. These can only be found on Socotra. The bottle tree and cucumber plant can also be found here. After walking for an hour or so, we’ll reach an incredible crystal-clear pool complete with views over the whole southern part of the island.
- Those feeling adventurous can descend the mountain by foot. Others can walk back to the jeep and be driven down to the beach.
- Drive to Arher.
- This is the point where freshwater and saltwater meet creating a natural phenomenon. The area is surrounded by giant dunes.
- You are free to walk around the area on your own. Those capable can climb the 300m-high sand dune!
- Dinner and overnight in Arher.
April 3rd - Arher | Hoq’s Cave | Raw Ersil | Dihamri Marine Protected Area
- After waking up next to the ocean you can choose between 2 morning activities:
- A hike to Hoq’s Cave (4 hours). OR:
- Drive to Raw Erisel, the meeting point of the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean.
- Drive to Dihamri Marine Protected Area.
- Scuba diving and snorkelling are available here (extra cost) or you can also join the local fishermen for a sea trip!
- We’ll bring back our catch of the day for dinner in Dihamri. .
- Overnight in the Dihamri Protected Area.
April 4th - Dixam
- Drive to the Dixsam Plateau. This is the most famous area for Dragon Blood trees.
- Stop for photos at Shehahon’s viewpoint.
- Lunch in the village of Dixsam. Here we’ll meet the head of the village who will tell us more about of the people living on Socotra Island.
- Stop at Wadi Derhur for a walk.
- Hike through the beginning of Fermahin – a forest of Dragon Blood trees.
- Tonight we’ll mingle with the locals for dinner and tea at a village
- Dinner and overnight at a homestay.
April 5th - Zahek & Hayf | Dagub | Amak
- After breakfast we’ll walk through the village accompanied by our new friends.
- Drive towards the South coast at Nogud.
- Explore the big sand dunes at Amak Beach where you can swim in the sea.
- Visit the cave of Dagub.
- Lunch at the cave or at Amak Beach.
- Dinner and overnight in Dixsam, surrounded by Dragon Blood trees!
April 6th - Qalansiya | Shuaab
- Early morning drive to Qalansiya, the second largest town on the island.
- We’ll take a boat trip to Shuaab, passing by stunning rock formations and plenty of native birdlife.
- Relax at the most beautiful beach on the island. Picnic lunch on the beach.
- Drive onto Detwah Lagoon.
- Here we’ll make camp and you can walk around the huge lagoon.
- Camping at Detwah Eco-campsite.
April 7th - Hadibo
- Return to Hadibo.
- City tour of Hadibo and learn more about life in Yemen.
- Our first stop will be the women’s market.
- Next up it’s the fish market. This place gets very lively and we can join in on an auction!
- We’ll then head to the khat market; Yemeni’s are one of the biggest Khat users in the world.
- We will stop by the door makers; these artists have been making ornate doors for centuries.
- We finish our day trip popping by a local school where we meet students, teachers, and give a quick english class.
- Tonight is our last night in paradise, so it’s one last big feast!
- Overnight in our hotel in Hadibo.
April 8th - Habido – Dubai
- Free time to explore before we catch our 14:00 flight to Dubai.
- Arrival at approx 17:30 local time.
- End of Socotra tour.
You’ll be in the experienced hands of our English speaking local guide and Rocky Road Travel guide. Flights to Socotra only depart on Thursdays every week. The itinerary is therefore standardized and perfected to fit this one week window.
Before & after each Socotra Island tour we will add you to dedicated email and social media groups so you can share photos easily with your travel mates. Just let us know is you want to opt out of this.
To book simply hit the button below and start the conversation today.