Socotra Essentials Tour
What's it all about?
Due to popular demand – we’re proud to announce an added Socotra tour for March 2022.
For those unfamiliar with Socotra, the place is like no where else on earth. Over 30% of plant life on the island can only be found on the island. Situated off the Horn of Africa in the Indian Ocean, Socotra is an archipelago belonging to Yemen. Luckily it has been completely unaffected by the country’s ongoing civil war and has become one one of the world’s least visited and untouched gems. Since the re-introduction of direct flights in 2018, Socotra is now looking to put itself back on the tourist trail once again.
Socotra island is a remarkable place for camping, walking, hiking, wildlife spotting & cultural immersion. It’s for anyone who wants to experience a natural world like no other.
Abu Dhabi - Socotra - Abu Dhabi.
March 7 - 14th, 2022
We wlll apply for your visa and you can collect it from us on tour. The visa fee is $150 extra.
March 7th - Abu Dhabi - Hadibo - Delisha Beach
- Meet at Abu Dhabi airport before our 10am flight to Socotra.
- Arrival in Habido, Socotra. We’ll be greeted by our local Socotri guide who will accompany us for the trip.
- Check into the newly opened Heathrow Hotel – now the only hotel on the island with reliable AC & Wifi!
- What better way to start the tour than heading straight for a swim at Delisha Beach! A beautiful white beach complete with a shipwreck.
- Fresh seafood lunch on the beach.
- Stay at the beach until sunset before driving back to Hadibo.
- Dinner and overnight at the hotel.
March 8th - Qalansiya | Detwah Lagoon
- Early morning drive to Qalansiya, the second largest town on the island.
- See the incredible view of Detwah Lagoon from the highest point on the beach before trekking down to the beach. Relax and take a dip in the ocean!
- Walk around the lagoon to our camp site for a big lunch.
- After lunch, trek along the shores to visit the cave of Abdullah Alloi – known as the “caveman” Abdullah was born here and spends his time fishing the lagoon. We’ll have more fresh seafood here washed down with tea!
- He’ll take us a quick tour of the lagoon (if he’s home…!). We’ll see pufferfish, sea cucumber, squid, starfish, sea urchin and more.
- Camping at Detwah Eco-campsite – complete with bucket shower and toilet!
March 9th - Shoub Beach | Diksam
- Take an early morning boat trip to Shoub beach – passing by stunning rock formations and plenty of native birdlife along the way. There’s a high likelihood we’ll come across numerous dolphins on the way here too!
- Arrive at Shoub – Relax & swim at the most beautiful beach on the island.
- Make our way back to Qalansiya by boat.
- Lunch back at our camp.
- Drive 2 hours to Diksam Plateau – home of the Dragon’s Blood Trees.
- Off road 4×4 drive to Firmihin forest and do a sunset hike to the top of the forest for one spectacular view overlooking thousands of Dragon’s Blood Trees.
- Set up camp at Diksam, Dinner and overnight.
March 10th - Dixsam | Amak | Dihamri
- Start the morning with a walk to the nearby Dragon’s Blood Tree nursery
- Walk through endless Trees to the viewpoint overlooking Wadi Dirhar – an incredible canyon that splits Diksam and the Firmihin forest in half.
- Drive towards the South coast towards the epic sand dunes that line the coast. Drive across the sand dunes and stop for plenty of photo opportunities.
- Visit the cave of Dagub (If there’s time)
- Swim at the nearby Amak Beach.
- Lunch surrounded by a forest of palm date trees next to the beach.
- 2 hour drive north to our campsite at Dihamri Marine Sanctuary
- Dinner and overnight.
March 11th - Dihamri Marine Protected Area | Killisan Pools
- Spend the morning scuba diving and snorkelling! (extra cost).
- Drive inland and south towards the Killisan canyon and pools. It’s an off-road drive and a 45 minute trek to get here but it’s well worth it. Swim in the turquoise pools and jump from the ledges into the crystal clear water.
- Picnic Lunch.
- Drive to Arher Beach campsite. This is the spot where you can climb the massive sand dune!
- You are free to walk around the area on your own. Those capable can climb the 300m-high dune! (Top tip – do it for sunrise instead!)
- Dinner and overnight camping with a fire.
March 12th - Homhil National Park | Arher
- After breakfast head straight to Homhil National Park. The Park is famous for its supply of the famous Dragon blood trees. Lots of bottle trees and cucumber plants can also be found here. After walking for 30 minutes, we’ll reach an incredible crystal-clear pool complete with views over the whole southern part of the island.
- Swim and relax at the “infinity pool” before making our way back upstream for a picnic lunch under the palms.
- Drive back towards Arher beach.
- Stop at the Socotra folklore museum on the way.
- Dinner and overnight in Arher.
March 13th - Arher | Hoq’s Cave | Raw Ersil | Hadibo
- Wake up next to the ocean and climb the sand dune (again..!) before sunrise if you dare. Cool off in the sea and rinse off in the freshwater streams.
- Start our hike to Hoq’s Cave (3 hours return. Medium fitness required)
- Drive to Raw Erisel, the meeting point of the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean. This is the point where freshwater and saltwater meet creating a natural phenomenon.
- Lunch in a nearby cave for a sheltered lunch.
- Drive back to Hadibo for a rapid covid test
- Visit the Yemeni Foundation & development for Socotra. Learn how the foundation is doing great work educating the youth of the island in conservation, foreign languages and computer skills.
- Transfer to the hotel for our last night together.
- Dinner and overnight in Hadibo.
Macrh 14th - Habido – Abu Dhabi
- Free time to explore before we catch our 14:00 flight to Abu Dhabi.
- Arrival at approx 17:30 local time.
- End of Socotra tour.
You’ll be in the experienced hands of our English speaking local guide and Rocky Road Travel guide. Flights to Socotra depart on Mondays every week. The itinerary is therefore standardized and perfected to fit this one week window.
Before & after each Socotra Island tour we will add you to dedicated email and social media groups so you can share photos easily with your travel mates. Just let us know is you want to opt out of this.
To book simply hit the button below and start the conversation today.