Pyongyang Marathon Tour
What's It All About?
Join us on the Autumn Pyongyang marathon tour to participate in the second annual running of the most unique marathon on earth. This is the seventh year that foreign tourists are welcomed to compete or spectate from the grandstands of Kim Il Sung Stadium!
Everyone on this tour will have the opportunity to watch the opening and closing ceremony in the stadium with up to 50,000 locals cheering on!
The Pyongyang marathon tour offers the chance for you to not only spectate or compete in the marathon but also to have a great insight into the DPRK by exploring the best Pyongyang has to offer. We’ll travel deep into the mysterious Pyongyang Metro, hear their story of the Korean War at the newly renovated Korean War Museum where captured American tanks and weapons are kept, visit the iconic bronze grand statues of the leaders, explore Kim Il Sung Square where all the previous military parades have been held, and much more.
The race itself is open to 5k, 10k, 21k & full marathon distances. You can also choose just to spectate or just walk! Let us know which you would prefer. Here are the entry fees:
- Full Marathon (42km/26 miles) – entry fee is €135
- Half Marathon (20km/12 miles) – entry fee is €90
- Mini Marathon (10km/6 miles) – entry fee is €65
- 5KM Marathon (5km/3 miles) – entry fee is €65
Friday September 18 – 23rd, 2020.
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 2pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers. It’s a great opportunity to ask any last questions you may have.
- The train departs Beijing Central station at 5:25pm. There will be a chance to stock up on supplies for the journey. There’s also a restaurant car on the train.
- The train is a full sleeper with all bedding and pillows provided
- Overnight on the train.
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 9:00am.
- Between these hours you are free to grab yourself some breakfast and walk to the river that separates China and North Korea.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to be met in arrivals by your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:30pm and transfer directly to the Yanggakdo hotel.
- In the evening your tour leader will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides. The hotel is North Korea’s most famous place to stay and is a real trip highlight itself. It has everything from bowling to karaoke to a swimming pool and massage parlour. Enough to keep you entertained!
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Sept 20th - Marathon Day!
- Run or spectate the Pyongyang Marathon.
- Lunch at the Mangyongdae District Restaurant – a great chance to tuck into some of the famous cold noodles and other local specialties!
- Quick pit stop at the hotel to shower and change.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK (optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Walk through Kim Il Sung Square – This the geographic center of the city where all military parades are held.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – best place to buy books, pins, posters and other North Korean souvenirs.
- Visit a Micro Brewery to further wind down with 7 different local draft beers on tap. Coffee, soft drinks, and juices also available.
- Dinner at the famous National Restaurant with a performance from the waitresses!
- Spectate the Mass Games! (Extra cost)
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel, Pyongyang.
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
- Flight takers depart (at a time to be confirmed) to Beijing on Air Koryo.
- Train takers depart at 10:25am for Beijing arriving at 16:30 in Dandong.
- Depart again for Beijing on the 18:30 overnight sleeper.
- Train travelers arrive in central Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am.
**We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application as well as getting you to Pyongyang and back from Beijing. We’ll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.