Pyongyang Football Tour
What's It All About?
This is a one of a kind opportunity to play a five-a-side match against North Korean opposition!
We’ll also be visiting the Pyongyang International Football academy to chat and play kick about with the highly talented students.
We top it all off by attending a world cup qualifying match between North Korean & Turkmenistan! It will take place in the massive Kim Il Sung Stadium
The tour will also take in all the best sights Pyongyang has to offer as well as visiting the DMZ!
Last but not least we’re paying special attention to Pyongyang’s famous micro-brewery scene, and of course the wonderful restaurants of Pyongyang. It may not be a full on Pyongyang bar crawl, but it’s the next best thing!
7th – 13th June, 2020
Sunday June 7th
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
- There will be a chance to stock up on supplies for the journey. There’s also a restaurant car on the train.
- The train is a full sleeper with all bedding and pillows provided
- Overnight on the train.
- Train group arrive at Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then depart for Sinuiju at 10:30am for the extensive border control from the North Korean side
- Flight takers depart 12:55pm from Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo. (Group will meet at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner at a local restaurant on Ryomyong Street
- Overnight at the Chongnyon Hotel
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph– This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Visit Kim Il Sung Stadium and have a kick about on the pitch!
- Lunch at the Korean Hot Pot Restaurant
- The Korean War Museum – see captured American weapons, as well as the infamous USS Pueblo and the museum’s many incredible displays and dioramas.
- Stop by Mansugyo Beer Bar – our favorite local bar to join the locals for refreshments.
- Stop by Koryo hotel beer bar to sample one of their famous home brewed beers.
- Dinner at a traditional Restaurant to try the local Pyongyang Cold Noodles dish or Korean Bibimbap.
- TRIP HIGHLIGHT – we head to our second stadium (TBA) to watch a world cup qualifier game between North Korea & Turkmenistan (Extra charge – €30-€50)
- Overnight in the Chongnyon Hotel.
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Head to Gold Lane Bowling Alley to play and mingle with some locals
- Taedonggang Brewery #3 for micro brewed beers
- Stop by the iconic Yanggakdo hotel to try the famous ale brewed in the hotel’s teahouse
- Dinner at the Duck Barbecue Restaurant
- Overnight at the Chongnyon hotel
- Morning walk along the Taedong River passing landmarks such as the Pyongyang Culture House and national theatre.
- TRIP HIGHLIGHT – After breakfast we head out to the Pyongyang International Football Academy next to Mayday Stadium. This is a school which specialises in the development of football in North Korea. We’ll be able to observe a football class and chat with the students.
- Visit Kim Il Sung Square – the centre of the city and where all the parades occur.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – where you can buy English-language Korean books, posters, pins, flags, DVDs, and more!
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the eternally burning North Korean Juche Ideology.
- TRIP HIGHLIGHT – get your boots on as we head for a game of five-a-side with a local Pyongyang team!
- Visit Meari Shooting Range – this shooting range has recently been renovated to include indoor shooting with pistols, rifles or archery!
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Rakwon Beer Bar- home of some of the cheapest draft beers in Pyongyang (50 cents each!) soda and juices are also available.
- Dinner at the National Restaurant with performance
- Kaeson Funfair (Extra charge)
- Overnight at the Chongnyon hotel
- Flight takers depart from Pyongyang to Beijing at 8:50am on Air Koryo arriving in Beijing at 9:50am local Beijing time
- Train members depart to Beijing at 10:25am
- Train takers arrive in Beijing at 9:00am local time.
**We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application as well as getting you to Pyongyang and back from Beijing. We’ll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
Where am I going?
Dates don’t work?