Pyongyang Bicycle Tour
What's It All About?
Just like the name suggests, This is our only North Korea bicycle tour!
For two of our five day tour, we will keep our tour bus parked up as we hit the road with our locally made North Korean bicycles!
This is the best opportunity to see the city like no foreigner before and it’s a great chance to enjoy the perfect weather during this season.
Our one of a kind North Korea bicycle tour will kick off with a day trip down to the DMZ (by bus..!). The following day we’ll visit Kumsusan Palace of the Sun where Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state. We’ll do a quick tour of the Pyongyang Metro and then we’ll collect our bicycles and say goodbye to our bus.
From here on we’ll do the remaining city tour pushing ourselves through the capital as a group. We’ll visit locations such as the Korean War Museum, Kim Il Sung Square, Juche Tower, a shooting range and much more. We’ll conclude our cycling tour by having a dip at the new water park.
This is not a serious cycling tour that requires you to wear a helmet or cycling shorts- it’s a casual city spin as we make our way around Pyongyang!
Beijing – Pyongyang – Kaesong – Sariwon – Pyongyang – Beijing.
Monday September 21st
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
- There will be a chance to stock up on supplies for the journey. There’s also a restaurant car on the train.
- The train is a full sleeper with all bedding and pillows provided
- Overnight on the train.
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – where President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il lie in state.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph– This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Stop by the Yanggakdo Hotel to change clothes
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Lunch at the Ji Ha Restaurant
- Collect our bikes and cycle down Liberation Street – a huge street where over 50,000 Korean families call home.
- Cycle to Mangyongdae Funfair and visit the birth place of President Kim Il Sung.
- Cycle to Meari Shooting Range located in the sports district of Pyongyang – this shooting range has recently been renovated to include both indoor and outdoor shooting ranges.
- Cycle to Mangyongdae School Children’s Palace to watch a magnificent performance by the students.
- Cycle to dinner at a local restaurant to sample Pyongyang’s famous Cold Noodle dish – as well as other classic Korean dishes.
- Cycle back to the Sosan Hotel for a night cap.
- Grab the bikes and explore the new Mirae Scientist Street in with its tall apartment blocks and unique design.
- Cycle along the Taedong River – this river divides Pyongyang east and west. Watch the locals fishing along the bank and walking to work or school.
- Cycle to Pyongyang Grand Theater, followed by the iconic Kim Il Sung Square.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Cycle along Changjon Street, another brand new street.
- Grand People’s Study House – an academic center for adult learners, this grand building affords a great view over the central Square.
- We’ll head back by the Arch of Triumph for a few more photos on our way to:
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Lunch at Moran Chicken restaurant
- Cycle over to the Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK (optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Cycle to the Party Foundation monument – built in 1995 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the party featuring a hammer, sickle, and writing brush.
- Cycle to Munsu Water Park. Indoor and outdoor pools, water-slides as well as a beer bar, table tennis, billiards, massage, or a beauty salon. This place has it all (extra entrance fee €10)
- Cycle down to Taedonggang Micro Brewery #3 – this bar has seven types of beers. Juices and soft drinks are also available.
- Farewell dinner and drinks at the National Restaurant, complete with live performance from the waitresses!
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
- Flight takers depart at 8:50am for Beijing arriving 9:55am local time.
- Train members depart at 10:25am for Beijing.
- Train members arrive at central Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am.
**We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application as well as getting you to Pyongyang and back from Beijing. We’ll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
Where am I going?
Dates don’t work?