Party Foundation Day Tour
What's it all about?
This celebrates the 76th anniversary of the Workers Party of Korea. It’s one of the biggest holidays in North Korea. This year we are expecting big celebrations!
During our tour in Pyongyang we’ll be seeing all the must see sights of the capital such as the Mausoleum, the Juche tower, ride the Pyongyang Metro, visit the Korean War Museum and much much more.
We’ll also head down to and stay overnight in Kaesong. This city is 8km away from the DMZ that divides Korea. We’ll then make our way to Panmunjom where we’ll meet our own local Korean People’s Army officer for a detailed tour of the site.
We’re also expecting a mass games spectacle – The Mass Games is the world’s largest performance with over 100,000 people participating. Now is your chance to watch this incredible show. Ticket prices are on-top of tour cost and are available to be purchased in Pyongyang. Prices will be announced closer to the event. We highly recommend securing your spot on tour early as we expect spaces to fill up very quickly.
Beijing - Pyongyang - Kaesong - Sariwon - Pyongyang - Beijing.
October 6th - 12th, 2021
We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application and we'll hand you the physical visa card at the pre-tour meeting in Beijing.
We'll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
October 6th - Beijing
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 2pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers. It’s a great opportunity to ask any last questions you may have.
- The train departs Beijing Central station at 5:25pm. There will be a chance to stock up on supplies for the journey. There’s also a restaurant car on the train.
- The train is a full sleeper with all bedding and pillows provided
- Overnight on the train.
October 7th - Dandong / Pyongyang
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
October 8th - Pyongyang
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph– This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Mangyongdae Schoolchildren’s Palace. The largest extra curricular place of leaning in North Korea. We’ll take in a tour and a live performance!
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Overnight in the Yanggakdo Hotel.
October 9th - Kaesong
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by the Concrete Wall section of the DMZ. This is way off the beaten track where few foreigners get to visit. From here we can see right across the DMZ and spy on South Korean outposts.
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Take a walk down new and futuristic Mirae Scientist’s street.
- Overnight at the Yanggakdo hotel.
October 10th - Pyongyang - National Day!
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Visit the Jangchon co-operative vegetable farm.
- The Juche tower (€5 extra to go all the way to the top) Amazing views over Pyongyang!
- Special celebratory events (optional: €20) – Yet to be confirmed but we will take part in any holiday events that are possible to attend.
- Gentle stoll on Moran Hill and mingle with the celebrating locals.
- Expected mass dance for Victory Day, join in or just watch for excellent photography opportunities!
- Drop into the Mangsugyo beer bar for a pint or three! Lots of local and cheap beers, coffee’s and tea’s available.
- Dinner at a local restaurant complete with a special performance from the waitresses.
- To be confirmed: attend the Mass Games – The world’s largest performance! Ticket prices to be announced. Tickets can be purchased whilst on tour in North Korea,
- Overnight in the Yanggakdo Hotel.
October 11th -Pyongyang
- Flyers depart Pyongyang at 9:00am on Air Koryo, arriving in Beijing at 9:55am local time
- Train members depart at 10:30am for Beijing, arriving in Dandong at 16:30 local Chinese time. We’ll have time to stock up on supplies before our 18:30 onward departure to Beijing.
October 12th - Beijing
- Train takers arrive in Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am.
- End of Tour
You’ll be in the experienced hands of our expert English speaking North Korean guides and Rocky Road Travel guide. Your itinerary may change slightly but we will always go above and beyond with added extras to the itinerary. We always put an emphasis on visiting real everyday life places such as local cafes, bars and amusement parks, bowling alleys etc.
Before & after each tour we will add you to dedicated email and social media groups so you can share photos easily with your travel mates. Let us know if you want to opt out of this.
To book simply get in touch below to start the conversation today.
Dates don’t work?
More great options
The Story of the Ryugyong Hotel “The Hotel of Doom”, “The Phantom Hotel” “The tallest [...]
What are the main stadiums in North Korea? North Korea is famous for doing things [...]
How to take a tour in North Korea There are plenty of known reasons why [...]
Can you take a North Korea Photography Tour? Yes it’s possible and we have been [...]