North Korea Itinerary
Design your very own North Korea Itinerary with Rocky Road Travel. As the experts in travel to North Korea, we can guide you every step of the way through the booking process and visa application. We will design and recommend an itinerary based entirely on your needs and interests.
A typical and popular 5 day North Korea Itinerary looks like the following:
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 2pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers. It’s a great opportunity to ask any last questions you may have.
- The train departs Beijing Central station at 5:25pm. There will be a chance to stock up on supplies for the journey. There’s also a restaurant car on the train.
- The train is a full sleeper with all bedding and pillows provided
- Overnight on the train.
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph– This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Mangyongdae Schoolchildren’s Palace. The largest extra curricular place of leaning in North Korea. We’ll take in a tour and a live performance!
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Revolutionary Martyr’s Cemetery.
- The Juche tower (€5 extra to go all the way to the top) Amazing views over Pyongyang!
- Mansudae art Studio – The central production facility for all North Korean Artworks. Take a tour and pick up a souvenir.
- Grand People’s Study House. This is the main library and learning center for adult students. This huge building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over the Kim Il Sung Square.
- Mansugyo Beer Bar – a popular bar with the locals.
- Pyongyang Gold Lane bowling alley.
- Dinner at a traditional restaurant with Korean bibinbap,
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
- Flyers depart Pyongyang at 9:00am on Air Koryo, arriving in Beijing at 9:55am local time
- Train members depart at 10:30am for Beijing, arriving in Dandong at 16:30 local Chinese time. We’ll have time to stock up on supplies before our 18:30 onward departure to Beijing.
Feel free to pick and choose whatever you like from our sample North Korea Itinerary. Then choose your dates and get in touch – it’s that simple. Or join one of our scheduled group tours. There’s no shortage of options for travelling to North Korea!