New Years Tour
Celebrate and welcome in the New Year in Pyongyang style!
On New Year’s Eve, we start the celebrations off by dropping into a few bars and then hanging out with locals at the Rakwon beer bar. We then head off to Kim Il Sung Square to watch the fireworks! During our frosty visit, we’ll visit the Mausoleum where both leaders lay in state, ride the Pyongyang Metro, visit the Korean War Museum, and visit the DMZ to hear an explanation of the division of both Koreas.
During our tour, we’ve been given special access to a Russian Mil Mi-17 helicopter to take for a whirl around Pyongyang city for a unique aerial tour of the capital.
We’ll swoop around the 105 storey Ryugyong Hotel, do a low flyby of the Taedong River passing the Juche tower, have a great glimpse of May Day stadium – the world’s largest stadium, and explore the many districts sprawling across the city for fantastic and unique photography opportunities. This joyride is completely optional and is €250 per person on top of the tour costs. If you are interested please let us know while booking.
We’ve included an extra day into this tour for the same cost as a regular five-day tour! So don’t waste any time, book with us now and secure your spot for a one of a kind New Year’s celebration!
Beijing – Pyongyang – Kaesong – Sariwon – Pyongyang – Beijing.
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here! We should be the first ones here thus avoiding all the crowds!
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture. There’s also a wonderful stamp and postcard shop here so you can send postcards to your friends and family. Don’t forget to write down the address before you travel!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras – Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Last night beers at the Taedonggang Micro Brewery! They have seven different types of beer here.
- Overnight in Sosan Hotel.
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Revolutionary Martyr’s Cemetery
- Hot pot lunch to warm up!
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph– This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK (optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Stop by a local department store – here we can buy local made items and use the local North Korean currency! You can take some home as a souvenir.
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Dinner and drinks at the Moran Hill restaurant.
- Attend the New Years eve concert and celebration with thousands of locals in Kim Il Sung Square!
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Grand People’s Study House. This is the main library and learning center for adult students. This huge building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over the Kim Il Sung Square.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Mansudae art Studio – The central production facility for all North Korean Artworks. Take a tour and pick up a souvenir.
- Mansugyo Beer Bar – a popular bar with the locals.
- Dinner at a traditional restaurant with Korean bibinbap,
- Overnight at the Sosan Hotel
- Flyers depart Pyongyang at 10:30am on Air Koryo, arrive in Beijing at 11:30am local time.
- Train takers depart at 10:25am for Beijing, arriving in Dandong Railway Station at 16:30 to change train for the overnight to Beijing departing at 18:30.
- Train takers arrive at 9:00 into Beijing main station
- End of our Spring Festival North Korea tour.
**We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application as well as getting you to Pyongyang and back from Beijing. We’ll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
Dates don’t work?