Mayday Syria Tour
What's it all about?
Beirut – Damascus – Krak de Chavaliers – Palmyra - Homs – Aleppo – Damascus – Beirut.
May 1st - 7th, 2022
We will apply for a security clearance on your behalf which will allow you to collect the visa on arrival at the border.
Beirut – Damascus – Krak de Chavaliers – Homs – Palmyra – Aleppo – Damascus – Beirut.
May 1st - Beirut / Damascus
- Early pick up from Beirut, Lebanon.
- Transfer to the Syrian border for exit/entry formalities.
- Continue onto Damascus by private car.
- Check into your incredible Old Damascene hotel. Take a short rest before starting a walking tour of the old town.
- In the afternoon we’ll explore the Al-Hamidiyah Souq.
- Free time in the evening to enjoy Damascus’ vibrant night-life along “Straight Street”.
- **Free inclusion** – Optional visit to a Hamam for an evening scrub! There’s no better way to end your first day in Damascus than relaxing in one of it’s ancient bath houses.
- Overnight in Old Damascus.
May 2nd - Damascus
- After breakfast, we’ll start our full day Damascus city tour.
- Visit the National Museum of Syria.
- Explore the Handicraft market for some of the best handmade goods in the Middle East.
- Azem Palace (a perfect example of a traditional Damascene house turned museum of the Ottoman times)
- Umayyad mosque (a place of worship since the first millennium B.C. It was once a church and now one of the most unique and important mosques in the world).
- Visit The church of St. Ananias, the window of St.Paul.
- Dinner and and overnight in Damascus.
May 3rd- Maaloula - Homs - Aleppo
- Our first stop today will be at Sednaya to visit a convent.
- Drive onto Maaloula, a small Christian town that was almost completely decimated by ISIS in 2014. It’s one of the most scenic villages in Syria and is the only place in the world where Aramaic; the language spoken by Christ is still used as a living language
- We’ll visit a Catholic church which was destroyed but has already been rebuilt.
- Continue onto Homs. Witness some of the rebuilding efforts underway and visit Khaled Ibn Al-Walid shrine.
- Lunch in Homs city
- Depart for Aleppo and arrive in the early evening.
- Explore some of the old town around the citadel by night.
- Dinner at a famous Armenian family run Syrian restaurant.
- Overnight in Aleppo.
May 4th - Aleppo
- Aleppo was arguably one of the worst affected cities during the Syrian war. Here you’ll get the chance to see some of the terrible destruction as well as the opportunity to witness the early stages of the massive rebuilding projects that Syrians are now undertaking.
- Our first stop in the morning will be the famous Aleppo Citadel.
- We’ll also be able to see the destroyed souk and see the fully restored parts.
- Visit the Aleppo Museum and walk through the adjoining markets.
- Visit the Baron Hotel – one of Aleppo’s most famous landmarks. It’s the oldest still functioning Hotel in Syria which once welcomed the likes of Charles De Gaulle, Yuri Gagarin, Lawrence of Arabia, Agatha Christie and Theodore Roosevelt. Stay here if you dare but you will have to do without heating, electricity or hot water.
- Dinner & overnight in Aleppo.
May 5th - Hama / Krak Des Chevaliers
- Drive south to Hama and visit the famous waterwheels here which once provided vital water ways to the land.
- Continue driving to Krak Des Chevaliers – “The most wholly admirable castle in the world.” – According to Lawrence of Arabia – and one of the most important preserved medieval crusader castles in the world.
- Dinner and overnight in the Homs countryside.
May 6th - Palmyra / Damascus
- Early departure to Palmyra.
- Full day visit to the ancient and partially destroyed city. See the Arch of Triumph, the Great Colonnade, the Theatre, the Agora and the Tombs.
- Drive back to Damascus in time for a last group supper. (And last hamam!)
- Overnight in Damascus.
May 7th - Beirut (Baghdad)
- Half day touring the last sights of Damascus
- Drive back to Beirut and arrive by early evening.
- End of Syria tour.
- If this isn’t enough – Join us straight after on our Iraq tour! There is a direct Damascus to Baghdad air route on this day.
You’ll be in the vastly experienced hands of our English speaking local guides & fixer as well as your Rocky Road Travel guide. We visit Syria regularly, so we have maximized the itinerary accordingly. Given the unpredictable nature of travelling in Syria, the itinerary may change slightly, but we will always go above and beyond with added extras such as stops at local cafe-bars, shisha lounges and amusement parks. We are in constant communication with our local partners on the ground who advise the safe routes to take.
Before & after the Syria tour we will add you to dedicated email and social media groups so you can share photos easily with your travel mates. Just let us know is you want to opt out of this.
To book simply hit the button below and start the conversation today.