Mauritania New Years Tour
What's it all about?
A place that once suffered from security issues and foreign office bans, Mauritania is roaring back with its unique blend of wild Atlantic fisherman mixed with traditional desert nomads of the Sahara. This huge and sparsely populated nation has attractions and wonderful towns waiting to be discovered by the intrepid traveler.
We’ve put together the perfect itinerary that will cover all the must-see’s and more in the space of 8 days. It’s also the perfect time of the year to travel there with a median temperature of 20-25 degrees celcius.
Nouakchott – Azoueiga – Terjit – Chinguetti – Ouadane – Choum Iron Ore Train – Nouadhibou – Nouakchott
Dec 27 – Jan 3rd, 2025
Thankfully it’s super easy to get a Mauritania visa. Most nationalities are eligible for a visa on arrival for $60USD or €55.
December 27th – Nouakchott
- Arrival into Nouakchott at your own convenience.
- Transfer to your hotel for the pre-tour discussion and meeting of your fellow travellers.
- In the afternoon we will venture out to the huge camel market and explore some of the city.
- Head to the Port de Pêche – the capital city’s largest and most vibrant fish market.
- See the Great Mosque of Nouakchott.
- Dinner and overnight in Nouakchott.
December 28th – Nouakchott - Azoueiga
- Breakfast at our hotel.
- Visit the National Museum where artefacts of the history of Mauritania and its ancient cities are exposed.
- Drive 4 hours to the stunning Azoueiga sand dune. We’ll set up camp here in this incredibly peaceful setting.
- Climb the nearby sand dune in time for sunset.
- Dinner and overnight camping.
December 29th – Azoueiga - Terjit - Chinguetti
- Drive towards Terjit – arguably Mauritania’s most naturally beautiful location. It’s an oasis in the middle of the Sahara desert.
- Relax in the pools after a long drive.
- Continue our off-road driving adventure to the UNESCO world heritage site of Chinguetti – one of the holy cities of Islam. You’ll visit the library and other historical monuments and landmarks including the much loved Friday Mosque of Chinguetti, the national symbol of Mauritania.
- Evening sunset watched from the huge sand dunes surrounding Chinguetti.
- Dinner and overnight at our guesthouse.
December 30th – Chinguetti - Ouadane
- Breakfast at the guesthouse.
- Begin the 80km drive through nothing but desert and sand dunes: on the way stopping in the village of Tanounichert for tea with the locals.
- Arrival in World Heritage protected Ouadane and explore the streets that once glorified this beautiful country as a whole.
- Get close the to the Richat Structure or “Eye of the Sahara” – This is an enormous 40km in diameter circular geological feature visible from space.
- Traditional dinner and overnight in our Hotel.
December 31st – Ouadane - Choum Mineral Train
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- Depart for Choum – the departing point for the iron ore train.
- On the way stopping at Agrour – here’s your chance to see pre-historic paintings left here 5000 years ago!
- Visit the Mheirith Oasis – an incredibly picturesque place where Mauritanians like to come and relax during the date growing season.
- Lunch at a local restaurant.
- Prepare for the Mauritania Iron ore Train – stop at local shops and stores to ensure the group is stocked up on plenty of essentials.
- Board the world famous Mauritania iron ore Train – at over 2km this is the longest and heaviest train in the world. Make sure to bring a warm blanket, warm clothing and scarf to protect yourself from the dust. The train will depart anywhere from around 6pm – 10pm.
- Celebrate a new years eve like no other as you roll across the Sahara desert under the stars.
- Overnight on top of iron ore in an open top train carriage.
January 1st – Nouadhibou
- On arrival in Nouadhibou city, we head straight to our hotel for a very well earned bed and shower!
- Head to the Atlantic ocean at Cape Blanc – a peninsula that is shared between Mauritania and Western Sahara.
- Visit the beach and nearby seal colony.
- Dinner at a family run Spanish restaurant.
- Overnight at our hotel.
January 2nd – Nouakchott
- An early rise for breakfast and the long drive back to the Mauritanian capital city of Nouakchott.
- On the way stopping for lunch.
- Visit the Zein Art gallery where you can pickup some amazing locally made souvenirs.
- Overnight in Nouakchott.
January 3rd – Nouakchott
- Transfer to airport.
- End of tour
You’ll be in the vastly experienced hands of our English speaking local guides & fixer as well as your Rocky Road Travel guide. We visit the country regularly, so we know the best spots and have perfected this Mauritania Tour accordingly. Given the unpredictable nature of travelling in Mauritania, the itinerary may change slightly, but we will always go above and beyond with added extras to the itinerary. We are also in constant communication with our local partners on the ground who advise the safest routes to take.
Before & after each tour we will add you to dedicated email and social media groups so you can share photos easily with your travel mates. Just let us know is you want to opt out of this.
To book simply hit the button below and start the conversation today.