2023 / 2024
Your Horn of Africa specialist. Experience Eritrea with our expert local guides taking you every step of the way.
Share this page:
We’ve been running Eritrea tours successfully since the 25th anniversary of independence in May 2016.
Nicknamed Africa’s “little Italy”, visiting Eritrea is like stepping back in time and onto a movie set. Asmara’s style and architecture have earned the city UNESCO world heritage status. Not to mention the untouched Red Sea coastline.
Take a look at our sample itinerary below. Just pick your dates and get in touch!
Asmara – Keren – Massawa- Dahlac Islands
You can travel on any date but the best time to visit Eritrea is from Autumn to Spring.
We will apply for your visa on arrival and supply you with an invitation letter to bring with you.
We can create your own private tour on your own dates.
Eritrea tours are all inclusive of twin accommodation in standard hotel, private transport, entrance fees, guiding and translations. Excluded are international flights, food, tips & insurance.
Travelling to Eritrea can be a headache with the visa process & the number of permits required to move about. Luckily Rocky Road Travel have the experts on the ground in Asmara that will make this process as smooth as possible.
With multiple daily flights now available from Dubai and Addis Ababa, It’s never been easier to visit Eritrea.
Day 1 - Asmara
- Arrival in Asmara. Your guides will be at the airport to pick you up.
- Introductory briefing on travelling in Eritrea and a breakdown of the itinerary. Diving in from the airport, stop by the famous Fiat Tagliero building, an incredible example of Art Deco architecture.
- Check into your hotel before starting a walking tour of Asmara. Check out the main drag, Harnett street as well as the the Post office – built in 1916, the presidential palace built in 1907, and the Hotel Hamassien built in 1916.
- Dinner & overnight in Asmara.
Day 2 - Massawa
- Hit the road for the long drive to Massawa. On the way stop at the old British war cemetery still maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- On arrival, check into your seaside hotel and hit the beach.
- Take a walking tour around the city center of Massawa, taking in the beautiful Ottoman architecture.
- Have dinner at the “Salam Restaurant”. Famous for its fresh fish prepared in traditional oven. This is a real local highlight. Afterwards feel free to explore the port-city’s nightlife.
- Overnight in Massawa
Day 3 - Red Sea
- After breakfast, take a boat to Dahlac Marine National Park – the Red Sea’s largest archipelago of which just four islands are inhabited.
- If you have a scuba license then you can book a dive here (extra cost) Snorkelling is also possible.
- After a long day on the water, head back to Massawa before sunset.
- Dinner and overnight in Massawa.
Day 4 - Asmara
- Drive back to Asmara in the morning
- Stop by the famous tank graveyard. You’ll find everything from burned out Ethiopian tanks to old airport buses!
- Explore more of Asmara taking in the Cinema Roma and the National Museum of Eritrea
- Free time to get lost in the markets, sit at an Italian cafe or just admire the architecture of this laid back city.
- Dinner and overnight in Asmara.
Day 5 - Keren
- After breakfast, head to Keren city. the route is littered with tanks and other destroyed vehicles left from the war.
- Free time to enjoy the many open markets including the very picturesque camel market!
- Have lunch in one of the many outdoor Italian cafe’s
- Back to Asmara for one last evening & overnight.
Day 6 - Depart
- Transfer to the airport. End of Eritrea tour.
Eritrea tours - FAQs
Most frequent questions and answers for our tours in Eritrea.
We will supply you with a letter of invitation for you to apply for the visa on arrival.
For flights into Asmara, the main gateways are Cairo, Dubai & Addis Ababa.
USD and Euro are both accepted in currency exchanges. Make sure to bring cash.
Our maximum group size is 12 people.
Personal expenses like food, drinks, visas and tips.