Eritrea Budget Tour
What's it all about?
You want to go to Eritrea and cross off the best to-do’s in a short amount of time? Well then the Eritrea Budget Tour is the one for you!
Some of the activities in Eritrea are simply world-class and shouldn’t be missed but can get quite expensive if you’re on your own.
On this tour we will be chartering a boat and a train so we’ve decided to do what we do best and allow groups of like-minded travellers to pool up and experience these activities at a fraction of the price and without having to spend a long time following a group.
The Eritrean capital city of Asmara is like a film set from an early Italian movie, with vintage Italian coffee machines and outstanding examples of Art-Deco architecture. Mixed with the Ottoman influences of Massawa, the country offers the intrepid traveller much to see and do.
Although the country faces numerous hardships, it paradoxically remains one of Africa’s most peaceful, secure, and welcoming destinations.
This is the cheapest ever Eritrea tour so don’t miss it!
Asmara - Nefasit - Massawa - Asmara
October 8th - 12th, 2021
We will apply for your letter of invitation. After this is issued you will need to apply for the visa in your country of residence.
8th October - Addis / Asmara
- Meet up in Addis Ababa Bole airport at 7:00 am.
- We catch our Ethiopian Airlines flight to Asmara – ET312. (The flight is not included in the price but we can book it for you. Inquire for costs)
- Driving in from the airport, we’ll stop by the famous Fiat Tagliero building, an incredible example of Art Deco architecture.
- Check into our central hotel
- Start our walking tour of Asmara. We’ll check out the main drag, Harnett street.
- We’ll see the Post office built 1916, the presidential palace built in 1907, and the Hotel Hamassien built in 1916. Great photo ops around every corner!
- Dinner at Hamassien Restaurant where you can try both traditional Eritrean dishes and great Italian food.
- Head to the colourful bowling alley where the pins are still placed by hand.
- Overnight at our hotel, hotel Top 5.
9th October - Asmara / Massawa
- Early start as today we board our very own 100-year-old train and ride all the way to the village of Arbaroba.
- Take in the stunning mountain scenery. This is definitely a trip highlight!
- On board the train we will be partake in a traditional coffee making ceremony.
- Drive the rest of the journey to Massawa
- On arrival, we’ll check into our seaside hotel
- Visit the beach
- Walking tour of Massawa taking in the beautiful Ottoman architecture.
- Dinner at the “Salam Restaurant”. Famous for its fresh fish prepared in traditional oven. This is a real local highlight.
- Explore the nightlife of Massawa and frequent one or two bars.
- Overnight in Massawa Luna Hotel
10th October - Massawa
- Early visit to a local school in Massawa to learn about Eritrea’s education system and meet with the kids.
- Take a boat to Dahlac Marine National Park – the Red Sea’s largest archipelago of which just four islands are inhabited.
- Those who have a scuba diving license can experience a dive in the Red Sea! (additional cost for diving). Snorkeling equipment is also available.
- In the early evening we head back to Massawa.
- Dinner at Almaz Restaurant.
- Drinks and overnight in Massawa.
11th October - Asmara
- Drive back to Asmara in the morning
- Stop by the famous tank graveyard. You’ll find everything from burned out Ethiopian tanks to old airport buses!
- Back to Asmara for lunch
- Explore more of Asmara taking in the Cinema Roma and the National Museum of Eritrea.
- Final farewell dinner at Bistro Alba before heading out for drinks on Harnett street.
- Overnight in Top Five Hotel
12th October- Asmara
- End of tour. Transfer to the airport for Departure.
You’ll be in the experienced hands of our English speaking local guides & your Rocky Road Travel western guide. We visit Eritrea regularly, so we know the best places and have perfected this short itinerary accordingly. The program may change slightly, but we will always go above and beyond with added extras to the itinerary such as stops at local cafe-bars, markets and more.
Before & after each tour we will add you to dedicated email and social media groups so you can share photos easily with your travel mates. Just let us know is you want to opt out of this.
To book simply hit the button below and start the conversation today.