Children's Day Budget Bonanza
What's it all about?
Quite simply this is one of if not the cheapest ways to visit Pyongyang. What’s more our Children’s day budget tour will take part in the Children’s Day celebrations held in the parks and streets. We’ll have a chance to compete against the students in the various games and check out the rides at Mangyongdae Funfair.
Group A also have the opportunity to explore all the must-see sights of Pyongyang including Kim Il Sung square, the Korean War Museum, the metro, a local department store, visiting the top of the Juche tower and much more.
If you want to stay a bit longer and see the DMZ then come join our Group B extended option! We’ll also visit the historic city of Kaesong which is only a few kilometres from the border. On he way back we’ll check out another city called Sariwon, halfway between Kaesong and Pyongyang.
A third option is to extend to Group C to the border town of Sinuiju opposite Dandong in China. This city is rarely visited by foreigners and gives you an in-depth look into this rural town. We’ll visit a Kindergarten, explore the central square and walk along the river that divides China and North Korea.
The tour will start and finish in the Chinese border town of Dandong (which is easily reachable from most of China). We can therefore offer a great price that has you in the country for at least 2 nights, 3 days, which is inclusive of one full day seeing all the main sites of Pyongyang.
The Children’s day budget tour is perfect for those who are already in China or simply travelling through and do not have the time or budget to do a full trip.
May 31st - Dandong, China
- Meet your Rocky Road tour leader at 8:00am inside the entrance of the Dandong Railway Station to collect your train ticket, North Korean visa, and to go through DPRK entry procedures.
- Board the 9:25am train from Dandong.
- 10:25am arrival in Sinuiju to go through the thorough North Korean immigration.
- Start the journey to Pyongyang. Sit back relax and enjoy the beautiful countryside along the way.
- Optional lunch available on the train (50RMB extra)
- 6:45pm arrival in Pyongyang to be met with a warm welcome by your North Korean guides
- Driving city tour of Pyongyang, including a stop at the iconic Kim Il Sung Square, the central square of Pyongyang and the place where all military parades are held.
- Dinner at a Korean restaurant on Ryomyong Street
- Check in and overnight at Chongnyon hotel
June 1st - Pyongyang
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Trip Highlight – Visit Mangyondae Fun Fair to watch the children celebrate with sports, games, and more. Feel free to jump in and participate in all the activities!
- Lunch at the Gold restaurant
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph– This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Stop by the Taedonggang Micro Brewery for some refreshments. They have seven different types of beer here.
- Dinner at the National restaurant with a great performance!
- Overnight at the Chongnyon Hotel.
June 2nd - Pyongyang / DMZ
- Group A departure – depart at 10:25am from Pyongyang Railway Station, arriving in Dandong at 4:30pm
- End of tour
Group B & C Continue on:
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight in Chongnyon Hotel.
June 3rd - Dongrim / Group B Departure
- Check out of the hotel after breakfast.
- Board the 10:25am train to Sinuiju.
- Option lunch on the train (50RMB extra)
- Group B departure – Arrive in Dandong Railway Station at 4:30pm and tour ends.
- Group C – Arrive in the rural village of Dongrim at 2:30pm – Dongrim is nearby Sinuiju to the south.
- Our local Korean guides will meet us as you step onto the platform
- Drive to Dongrim Hotel to check-in and prepare for a short afternoon hike
- Walk to Dongrim Waterfall and explore the surrounding valley, if it’s warm you can take a dip beneath the waterfall!
- Dinner and overnight at the Dongrim Hotel – a brand new hotel with a swimming pool. sauna, table tennis, massage, bars, karaoke, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts. Finally a chance to relax!
June 4th - Sinuiju / Dandong
- Drive to Sinuiju city.
- On the way we’ll stop at Sinamri Co-operative farm – we’ll see where the locals grow rice, cabbage, chilli and cucumbers
- Tour the local Cosmetics Factory and meet some of the workers that produce North Korea’s most famous cosmetics
- Visit the mosaic images of the “Three Tigers of Mt. Paektu” – Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il and Kim Jong Suk.
- Explore the large central square of Sinuiju and pay respects at the statue of President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il
- Visit the local Revolutionary History Museum – This will go into some detail about the history of the local province.
- Lunch & a souvenir shop.
- Head to the local Folklore Park where hopefully we can engage in traditional Korean games.
- Visit the Art Studio which holds over 250 pieces of North Korean fine art works.
- Bonbu Kindergarten and performance – Famous for training some of the Children who perform in the the mass games. The performance here is one of the best of any Kindergarten in the country.
- Walk down to the Amnok River (Yalu River) and see the original Korean/Chinese Friendship Bridge bombed by the Americans during the Korean War.
- Board the 4:30pm bus and go through North Korean exit customs to finish our tour in Dandong, China.
- End of tour.
We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application as well as getting you to Pyongyang and back from Beijing. We’ll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
You’ll be in the experienced hands of our expert English speaking North Korean guides and Rocky Road Travel guide. Your itinerary may change slightly but we will always go above and beyond with added extras to the itinerary such as visits to local cafes, bars and amusement parks.
Before & after each tour we will add you to dedicated email and social media groups so you can share photos easily with your travel mates. Let us know if you want to opt out of this.
To book simply get in touch below to start the conversation today.
Dates don’t work?
More great options
From a long time observer, first time visitor. Here’s a few of my first impressions [...]
What makes a great North Korean gift? You’ve just booked your long awaited tour of [...]
What are the main stadiums in North Korea? North Korea is famous for doing things [...]
How to take a tour in North Korea There are plenty of known reasons why [...]