Basra to Baghdad Tour
What's it all about?
Basra - Najaf - Babylon Karbala - Baghdad - Samarra - Baghdad.
November 6 - 11th, 2022.
For Southern Iraq a new visa on arrival scheme has been announced for citizens of the EU, UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Russia, China, Japan & South Korea.
If you are not from one of these countries then we will apply for a visa on your behalf. Get in touch for more info.
Basra to Baghdad
November 6th - Basra
- Arrival in Basra. Your tour guide will meet you in Basra Airport and transfer you to the hotel.
- Meet the rest of your group in the hotel before heading our for your full Basra city tour.
- Visit the Ashar and Shanashil Al Basra area to witness the old Basra – old style merchant houses with balconies leaning over the narrow streets. Stop by the Souq, History Museum, Saddam Hussein Palace, and the Central Railway Station.
- Dinner and overnight in Basra.
November 7th - Marshes, Ur & Najaf
- Up bright and early to drive towards the Mesopotamian Marshes. We’ll take a boat trip through the maze of marshes stopping by local villages for tea. The marshes once engulfed a whole swathe of Southern Iraq with numerous floating villages. Today the receding waters have led most families to change their livelihood but we’ll still see the few that remain.
- It is also home to the Maʻdān population who over the centuries have adapted to life on the water. Stop by a traditional house for lunch and tea.
- Drive north and stop to visit the Ziggurat of Ur, a neo-Sumerian construction built in 2000 BC.
- Continue driving to Najaf, visit the Imam Ali Shrine & Imam Ali’s house (the very spot where imam Ali was killed)
- Visit the Wadi-Us-Salaam – the world’s largest graveyard. It is said to contain tens of millions of bodies. Many shiites request to be buried here in one of the numerous catacombs.
- Dinner and overnight in Najaf.
November 8th - Babylon, Karbala and Baghdad
- Drive to Babylon, once the largest and most important city in the world. We tour the ancient ruins with our local expert and see what’s left of the hanging gardens.
- Saddam Hussain Palace – Perched right on top of Babylon, the dictator made sure he had the best view of the site. We spend some time exploring the looted remains of one of his many former palaces.
- Drive to Karbala and visit the holy city’s famous Al Abbas mosque and Iman Husayn shrine.
- Dinner and overnight in Baghdad.
November 9th - Baghdad
- Baghdad tour – See the Liberation Square monument, which commemorates the establishment of the Republic of Iraq.
- Visit to the National Museum of Iraq. Reopened in 2015 after notorious looting during the war, it contains various treasure from the Mesopotamian and Babylonian periods.
- Visit the incredible and well renovated Al–Mustansariya School. This is commonly known as the oldest school in the world.
- Walk through the book market and adjoining copper market. A great place for souvenirs and photography.
- Stroll along the Tigris River and see the famous old clock tower and Abbasid Palace.
- Visit the Al-Shaheed (Martyr) Monument.
- Dinner, Tea, shisha and overnight in Baghdad.
November 10th - Samarra
- Hit the road and drive north to Samara. We pass through multiple checkpoints along the route driving by many villages recently destroyed during fighting against ISIS.
- Samara is famous for its Minaret (also known as the Great Mosque of Samara). We’ll climb the spiral staircase all the way to the top for the 360 degree view. Not for the faint hearted!
- Drive south back towards Baghdad and stop at the magnificent Ziggurat of Agar Qouf.
- If we have time we’ll also stop at the Al-Yassin Shrine. Baghdad’s most famous.
- Dinner and overnight in Baghdad.
November 11th - Baghdad
- Transfer to the airport.
- End of tour.
You’ll be in the vastly experienced hands of our English speaking local guides & fixer. We visit Iraq regularly, so we know the best spots and have perfected the itinerary accordingly. Given the unpredictable nature of travelling in Iraq, the itinerary may change slightly, but we will always go above and beyond with added extras to the itinerary such as stops at local cafe-bars, shisha lounges and amusement parks. We are in constant communication with our local partners on the ground who advise the safest routes to take.
Before & after each tour we will add you to dedicated email and social media groups so you can share photos easily with your travel mates. Just let us know is you want to opt out of this.
To book simply hit the button below and start the conversation today.