Autumn Classic Tour
What's It All About?
This tour falls on the Chinese National Day October Holiday. While it’s a very busy time in China, it’s also one of the best times to be in North Korea, with less tourists and perfect weather!
The Autumn classic tour will show you all the must see and do activities around Pyongyang such as the Mausoleum where President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il lay in state, the famous Pyongyang Metro, touring the recently renovated Korean War museum and visiting the Korean DMZ where North and South meet!
We’ve timed in our longer Group B tour to catch the massive celebrations for the 75th Anniversary of Party Foundation Day during which a military parade has been confirmed!
We’ll also head out of Pyongyang city west to a port town called Nampo located on the coast. Here we’ll tour both the industrial and agricultural heartland of North Korea. We’ll also be staying at a relaxing spa resort with a private mineral hot spa in each room as well as sampling North Korea’s famous petrol cooked BBQ clams!
Tickets are limited during this Chinese national day season so please be sure to book early so we can guarantee your spot on the tour.
Sunday, October 4th
- Groups A & B meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a central Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
Monday, October 5th
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then depart again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:55pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 4:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Tuesday, October 6th
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot restaurant.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph- This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Drinks at the Taedonggang micro brewry
- Dinner to sample some of Pyongyang's local delights.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel
Wednesday, October 7th
- Hit the road bright and early for the 3 hour drive to the DMZ
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Visit the tomb of King Kongmin
- Head back to Pyongyang.
- Stop at Sariwon city on the way and walk around its folklore park. We can also dress up in local costume and sample some of the fermented rice wine on offer!
- Stop by the reunification monument outside Pyongyang.
- Dinner at a restaurant on Liberation Street
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Thursday, October 8th
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Grand People’s study House - the main academic center for adult learners. This grand building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over Kim Il Sung Square.
- Lunch at the Moran Hill restaurant.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK (optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Stop by the local department store – here we can buy locally made goods and use the North Korean currency!
- Mangyongdae Schoolchildren’s palace- This is the largest extracurricular centre for kids in North Korea, we’ll first observe some lessons then watch the incredible kids performance.
- Dinner at local restaurant
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
Friday October 9th
Group A Depart:
- Group A flight takers depart at 8:55am for Beijing on Air Koryo. (Arriving in Beijing at 9:50am Beijing time).
- Group A train takers depart at 10:25am for Beijing on train K28. (Arriving in central Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am on the 10th).
Group B continues on:
- Mangyongdae house – Birthplace and former home of President Kim Il Sung.
- Korean National Treasure House - This is a Gift Exhibition Hall for gifts presented to the leaders from Koreans domestically and abroad.
- Walk up on a path to the top of Mt Ryangak located on the outskirts of Pyongyang for a lovely view over Pyongyang.
- Packed lunch on top of Mt Ryangak
- Drive to Nampo
- Chongsan Co-operative farm – One of the top co-op farms in the DPRK and a model of the co-op method.
- Dinner and overnight at the Ryonggang spa resort complete with private mineral spa in each room. We will also have an option to have the DPRK’s famous BBQ clams for €5 extra per person.
Saturday 10th October -75th Anniversary Party Foundation Day
- West Sea Barrage – A terrific example of socialist construction, the barrage was built to control the rising Taedong river and produce fertile farmland.
- Lunch at the Hangu harbour hotel in Nampo
- Visit the Chollima Steel Complex (to be confirmed) – Here is where the majority of steel for the country is produced on a mass scale.
- Stop by the Kangso Mineral water factory. We’ll see the process of the water being pumped from the ground and bottled in the factory.
- Back to Pyongyang to spectate and/or join in on the Pyongyang university students performing a mass dance near an iconic North Korean monument – fantastic for photo opportunities!
- Watch the expected military parade
- Dinner at the Potonggang Restaurant with special performance from the waitresses.
- We’ll gather in Kim Il Sung Square to watch the fireworks amongst the locals
- Overnight and drinks at Sosan Hotel.
Sunday October 11th
- Mansudae Art Studio – North Korea's largest and most prestigious studio. We'll meet local artists where monuments, portraits, sculptures are produced for the domestic and export markets.
- North Korean Film Studio – well over one thousand North Korean productions were made here with backdrops of fake locations such as China, Japan and even Europe! We’ll also have a chance to dress up in period costume.
- Pyongyang Gold Lane Bowling – usually packed on a Sunday with locals coming out to spend their day off with family and friends. There's also a bar with decent draught beer – 2.5 euros per bowling game.
- Munsu Water Park! Indoor and outdoor pools and amazing waterslides, the park also offers plenty for those who don’t want to swim. It houses a coffee shop, beer bar, table tennis, billiards, massage or a beauty salon (various services are extra charge, swimming and access to the gym, table tennis and billiards is €10)
- Meari Shooting Range which is equipped with rifles, pistols, archery, games and automatic rifles. 50 cents per bullet.
- Evening stroll along Future Scientist street – constructed in 2015 for the 70th anniversary of the founding of the workers party.
- Farewell dinner at the National Restaurant with a performance by the friendly & talented waitresses!
Monday October 12th
- Group B flight takers depart at 9:00am for Beijing on Air Koryo. (Arriving in Beijing at 10:00am Beijing time).
- Group B train members depart at 10:25am for Beijing on train K28.
Tuesday 13th October
- Train arrives in Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am
- End of tour.